SIM lab encounter

  • How do you think the SIM encounter went overall? Provide a rationale.
  • What would you do differently if you were given the opportunity for a do-over in the SIM lab?
  • Provide 2 specific examples of how an attitude of caring can be communicated to a client/caregiver by an OT student.
  • How will you incorporate what you have learned from this encounter into future experiences, either in the SIM lab or in an actual clinical situation
    Overall, I think that the SIM lab encounter went very well. I feel as if I exuded a lot of confidence and explained what sensory processing disorder was to the best of my ability. However, if I was given the opportunity to redo the SIM lab I would definitely try to be more empathetic, not just with my words but with my actions. I would really try to focus in on my non-verbal gestures, like my facial expressions. Non-verbal gestures or cues are very important in occupational therapy. It shows the client how much you care about them without you having to continuously say it. It puts power behind your words and makes you more trustworthy or trustful.
   Another way that you could show empathy or care for a client is by asking them questions; making sure they understand what you are saying and letting them know that you are there for them through the situation. Active listening would also be a great way to show a client that you care about their situation. Letting them know that you understand what they are saying and are actively listening to their concerns, shows them how much you genuinely care about their well-being. 
   I learned a lot from this SIM lab; it was one like no other. Some of the take-away lessons I learned that I will be implementing in the "real world" is to always come in with a smile.  A smile can really make someone feel more comfortable and not as nervous, especially in a clinic or hospital. Another takeaway I have is always ask open ended questions. That way it allows the clients to have input and be involved in the appointment or meeting. Lastly, I learned that saying words like "partnership" or "teamwork" allows the client to know that you are on their side and that they are not alone. I learned so much in this SIM and I can't wait to actually implement it in the real world. 

Comments

Popular Posts