Mock Interview Reflection

           There’s a saying that states, “Interviews are like first dates; good impressions count, awkwardness can occur, and the outcomes are unpredictable” and that’s exactly how I felt before my interview today! I literally felt like I was going on a date; I picked out a presentable outfit, I did my hair and makeup, and I practiced different conversation topics. I had so much anxiety, and did not know how to really prepare due to the site being hypothetical; however I must say that the interview went extremely well! According to the feedback I was given, I did a great job being direct and also showed passion/interest in the facility. She really liked the fact that I included their (fake) mission statement and correlated it with my own personal values and beliefs. I must say that this was one of the most peaceful interviews I have had, but I feel like it has a lot to do with the way I prepared for the meeting

Generally I freak out before an interview; my hands get sweaty and I start contemplating the worse possible outcomes. I get very nervous and I typically have to calm myself down, however this time was different. I was very calm before the meeting and did not feel as much anxiety or tension due to the way I prepared for the interview. I started looking up potential interview questions two days prior to the mock interview. I also practiced on Zoom’s camera, which gave me the opportunity to see how I wanted the interviewer to view me. I practiced different interview questions at-least 4 times on Zoom before the actual meeting, which gave me a sense of comfort and familiarity.   I also listened to soothing music before my interview, which also gave me a peaceful aura. Even though this interview went extremely well there are a few things I would change to make it even better.

If I had the opportunity to do this mock interview again I would try to lessen the amount of “ums” I used in my sentences. I generally use that word when I am trying to think or when I am processing a question, however I need to learn how to sit in silence before answering. I feel as if silence would be more appropriate and would also seem as if I am more prepared versus using word fillers. This interview, however, was everything I expected and I am thankful I was given this opportunity. This allowed me to learn from my mistakes before entering into the “real world”. I will be sure to transfer what I learned into the work force; making sure I process information before talking or answering questions.

This process really helped me learn a lot. It showed me how important it is to process information before asking/answering questions and also how it relates to confidence and professionalism. If one is using “ums” or word fillers in their sentences, it may seem to others that they are not confident in their statement or as if they aren’t prepared. This process also helped me learn how being one’s true self is very important and that interviewers love authenticity. It showed me that personality definitely matters and just like a first date I want to ensure that I make a lasting impression.



Comments

Popular Posts